Friday, May 14, 2010

Honk, Honk...you're in India!

Twenty seven hours, four movies, and three airplane meals later...our final flight landed in Trivandrum. After being last to get on the bus from the plane to the terminal, last to go thru immigration check, and practically last to figure out the baggage claim area, Carly and I came out from the airport to find Heather cheerfully waiting for us. The time was 5:00 am local, yet the street in front of the airport was lined with thousands of Indian people waiting for their loved ones to arrive...this included lots of little ones who didn't seem phased by the hour.

Heather had already arranged a nice hotel with A/C, cozy bed and shower for next few nights. I was very excited to rinse off and crawl under the sheets for a clean, quick nap before hitting the busy morning streets.

Dani and Julia arrived a few hours later and the five of us set off for our first Indian meal. I guess I missed the memo that we'd be using our hands as utensils, and it took me several minutes of watching the others until I was ready to dive in to the Thali tray (ayuvedic style meal served with an array of flavors-sweet, sour, pungent, spicy...). In American terms...this meal consisted of a few scoops of white rice, dal, and plenty of interesting condiments...plus a delicious Indian-style fried tortilla-like thing.

There are loads of cars, buses, mopeds on the dirt streets and plenty of people lining them, including us. The honking is constant. There no side walks nor cross walks. Even though leaving my Nike's behind was one of the hardest things I've had to do in a while (such a rough life I live)...I'm certain my opportunities to suit up and go for a jog would be limited in this environment.

The people, the food, the sounds...as Annie sang..."I think I'm gonna like it here!"


No comments:

Post a Comment