Friday, May 28, 2010

Balmy Mumbai

It's been gorgeously warm in Mumbai; we were not more than 100 yesterday, but the humidity does put a damper (oh yes) on things. Our party has disbursed as parties do, but the journey continues for all of us. Three back in the states, three still on the opposite side of world along with our doctor who has also moved on. I very much miss my co-travelers, but it is nice to feel the rough and bumpy streets under my sandals as I weave solo through the dust, grit, grime of the unlikely urban garden that is this city.

Parks and stretches of green are all around, yet unlike our cities, the borders are more blurry. Houseplants grow like weeds from cracks in the pavement and street trees stretch their roots desparately and successfully down from upper branches. Planters line the sidewalks seemingly at random. All the while there is a New York buzz of taxi horns, and vendors funnel pedestrians down the sidewalks, stores spilling into stalls, stalls covering sidewalks.

This morning was chill time - slept in, no morning yoga, but my stuffy head and sinuses are much better. Probably still catching up on the sleep missed during our trip. Was going to head out, but got held back when an electrician changed light fixtures in my room. Hotel wanted me to stay for about 10-15 minutes while they worked. Of course it was an hour and a half before I left, but I got to catch up on my neglected journal. Who knew that a 24 hour train ride would be too fun to waste time writing?

After major walkathon and curry lunch (with a fork this time - go Eurostyle diners!), came back to the hotel, did a long slow yoga set, and feel ready to take on a full day tomorrow. Maybe 2 sets tomorrow. Maybe even double-eagle crunches...

No comments:

Post a Comment