Friday, May 14, 2010

clarity

"Clarity can exist only when there is freedom to observe, when one is capable of looking, observing, watching. That is only possible when there is complete, total freedom, otherwise there is always distortion in our observation." - J. Krishnamurti

After a 15 hour flight to Hong Kong, 12 hour layover, 7 hour flight to Mumbai, hour long nap in a hotel, 2 hour flight to Thiruvananthapuram followed by a short nap and shower, I am finally able to allow awareness to take over. Although only being gone for 2 days, I feel it took a great deal longer to get here and I have already met such great people along the way.

My longest flight sat me next to a couple of Indian nationality living in China. The woman and I talked about so many topics ranging from vegetarianism to travel. Her recommendations, warmth and encouragement made me feel at ease at the start of my adventure. She and her husband even saw me off while I explored Hong Kong for the day, ensuring that I was able to find the bus and noting where I should get off and what my options were for the day. The humidity off the plane was striking, and it only became thicker as I crossed Victoria Harbor into Hong Kong City. Met a fellow traveler who had just left Nepal and India, and we explored the interesting buildings and man-made parks with beautiful landscapes. I wandered alone for a couple hours before realizing my jet lag and heading back to the airport.

On my way to Mumbai I met a Bollywood movie producer who was warm and welcoming - a very nice start to entering the heavily populated country. The plane was early, but I arrived 45 minutes late because the plane in front of us couldn't figure out how to back up in order for us to reach the gate. The domestic flight in India offered us a bumpy ride with interesting food my fellow traveler, Julia, and I were a little weary of... but I tried the bread/cakes and the spicy red dipping sauce. It was nothing in comparison to the lunch we had of traditional thali; they bring you a tray with 6 different veggie sides to dip your hands into and mix into your large heaping of rice centered on the tray. In India, you must only use your right hand to eat with because the left hand is considered unclean (reserved for the bathroom) which I thought would be challenging, but the experience was great, I highly suggest it! We finished off our meal with traditional chai. And it is bottomless... for those that know me I'm sure you understand this made me happiest :)

The response and curiosity among the men and women in India cannot be generalized. We have experienced staring, smiles, shoving, laughter, hospitality, and head bobbing. I love this. Whether using words or not, communicating can be done by moving your head from side to side letting the person know you acknowledge them, like them, respect them, understand, don't understand, are curious about them... I can tell I will be using this throughout my trip.

The difference between the excitement before leaving for my long awaited journey and the excitement of being on my adventure are so unique to one another. Although I had dreamed about it I never knew how it would feel to be here, and now that I am I just feel so much joy and gratitude. I am blessed to have the opportunity to be looking, observing, watching in this beautiful and timeless country with so many smiling faces and tradition to learn from.

One more thing - leaving the harbor in Hong Kong, I saw a stroller pass by pushing a very content child in 'Happy Baby' pose. Somehow, this made everything seem 'right' in the world :) I miss you all!

xoxo, dani

No comments:

Post a Comment